Although a club was formed in Crewe in 1874, it only lasted some 3 years, but it is interesting to note that being based on Crewe Railway Works, one member of the team was A.R.Trevithic grandson of Richard, the inventor of the steam locomotive.
The present club originated as Nantwich R.U.F.C., whose first game was played in February 1923, the ground being in Colleys Lane, Willaston. Moving in 1926 to Victoria Avenue, Crewe, the Club changed its name to Crewe and Nantwich, donning the white jersey with the black hoop for the first time against Leek in October 1926, the Webb Orphanage being used as H.Q.
Jack Wright, the club's only full England international, played from 1929 to 1932, moved to London, captained the Metropolitan Police appearing for England against Wales in 1934, but returned to Crewe and Nantwich in 1938.
Since then the club has been graced with further full internationals in, Dave Johnston, who was capped by Norway in 1984 whilst working in the Nordic Oil Fields. Andreas Reckewerth who was capped by Germany 75 times.
The club once again moved, this time to the rear of the Lamb Hotel in Willaston, but were there only 3 years, when war intervened, and the club closed down, although records show a match against a French Navy XV in 1942.
1945 saw the club reforming, but its pre-war pitch was still under cultivation and so a new ground was found at Church Farm Haslington, excellent drainage, but the cow pats were a hazard!
Mid '40's to mid '50's were tremendously successful, but the immediate post-war team who had returned from the forces all reached rugby retirement age together, bequeathing the club a precarious existence for some 10 years culminating at the 1963 A.G.M. in a resolution that the club should be wound up being only narrowly defeated. Only one team was fielded during the next 4 years. Meanwhile the club's nomadic existence continued with a move in 1958 to Council pitches on the BaronyPark, Nantwich, changing in a garage at the rear of the Red Lion Hotel.
Continuing to play on the Barony the club however linked up with Nantwich Cricket Club in 1973 and the playing side gradually improved from thereon, with 2nd, 3rd, 4th teams and Vets being formed over the years plus thriving mini, junior and colts sections.
Our move to the Vagrants in season 1995/96 saw us win the Cheshire Plate and season 1996/97 we gained promotion. The club achieved its greatest honour so far when we were R.F.U. Junior Cup Finalists at Twickenham 1996/97. Season 1999/2000 we were Cheshire Plate finalists losing a very close game by 3 points to Runcorn. In Season 2003/4 we defeated Ellesmere Port to win the Cheshire Plate. We have since reached the final a further 2 times in 2006/7 and 2007/8
Many players have started with Crewe & Nantwich to go on to more senior rugby, notably Neil Hitchen (Orrell, Lancashire, The North and England B), Paul Hackett (England Colts, Cheshire, Waterloo and The North), Andy McGarrigle( Liverpool St Helens, Cheshire), Matthew Farr (Orrell, Chester and Cheshire), Andy Brown (Cheshire), John Farr (Bedford, Coventry and The Midlands), Dan, Will and Ed Potts (Chester), Simon Mackeen (Cheshire), now an RFU referee as is John Hackett.
We run 4 Senior sides and a thriving Mini & Junior Section with teams from Under 7's right through to Senior Colts
Cheshire Plate Winners 2010/11
Cheshire Bowl Winners 2012/13
Cannock 7's Champions 2013 and 2014
The 1st XV currently play in Midlands 1 West
The 2nd XV are in Raging Bull Division 1
The 3rd XV are in Raging Bull Division 4 South
The 4th XV are in Raging Bull Division 5 South