End of Season Dinner
Herewith my speech in full - sorry I had to make it a little shorter last night. I didn't get to say everything:-
• Firstly I would like to take this opportunity to thank Gwyn for his never ending support for the team on match day over the last 2 season – Gwyn spends his time doing all of the jobs that we take for granted pre match and the horrible cleaning up afterwards!! Aside from these roles Gwyn is always there acting as support for players that need a little help now and again, he is an ear, a shoulder and a rock to many.
• Jon Cockburn support through the good and the bad times
• Ken and our sponsors for everything they do for us
• Harry and the summer of hard work
• The management team of Gwyn and myself - were joined Wayne and Ian Moss who have ensured that match day with the ‘Super 2’s’ runs so smoothly – thank you both.
• Allan and Les and Gwyn for their hard work –that goes unseen and often unnoticed. They are the bedrock of the club and the work that these three do is beyond measure – without their selfless sacrifice we would not have the facilities in place each week.
• Jake and the MMU students, without whose support this club would not have fulfilled all of their fixtures – we have already put in place plans for an MMU trial match against the club in September to introduce the players to the club
• Thanks must go to Kev, Steve and Rob, 3 great men that have ensured that this club has managed to regularly turn out 4 teams for the past 2 seasons. It is with great sadness that we stand to lose these club stalwarts, I would like to wish those stepping into their boots all the very best. I also urge all of you to make their job easy by replying to text s or facebook messages.
• The season . . . Players of note:- first half of the season Stuart Nicoll, James Guy, Rob Black and the new lad on the block, Steve Outhwaite. Sadly we lost Stuart as the season wore on, our loss was someone else’s gain when his twin daughters arrived Sienna and Jessica. Shortly after their arrival Stuart was back amongst us playing where needed. Dave Germain stepped into his shoes and led from the front.
• Loss of Ian Moss :- congratulate Josh Grant on taking on the mantle and along with Steve Outhwaite becoming the most improved players of the season.
• The 2nd Team also benefitted from having the youngsters Scotty Cann and Matty Wright come seamlessly into the side, shining lights for the club in the coming years, learning their trade playing alongside the likes of DVD, Phil Alcock and David Curry
• The highlight of the season was the sight of Tom Maguire taking to the field to play Northwich 2’s – where, despite being shot by enemy fire toward the end of last year, he showed he had not lost any of his ability to play rugby. I was a little concerned the following week when an X ray revealed that he still had part of the bullet inside of him!!
• That was closely followed by our scoring over 100 points against our near neighbours Sandbach, amazingly these points were amassed without a kicker, without a fly half and Lee Grey doing everything in his power to avoid scoring a try as he managed to avoid scoring at least 3 tries!!
• Mention must also be made that at some point in the season we were joined by our very own ‘Mr Angry’ Neil Edge – who added what could only be described as a steely edge to the pre-match build up and he gave up many an hour to stand on the side-lines and offer the wisdom of his experiences.
• The season:- With the exception of Sale and Widnes we held our own against many of the clubs whose first team play well above our own and finishing 5th – above the likes of our near neighbours Whitchurch and above each of the other newly promoted teams Anselmians and Glossop.
• Played 26 – Won 14, drew 1 and lost 11. 634 points for and 247 points against – a very impressive start to our arrival in the new league – one we hope to be able to build on.
• Wish luck to Wayne for next season, rest assured that we will support him when and if we are needed
• On my departure from the Super 2’s I ask that anyone involved in club rugby do 2 simple things:-
1. Firstly Please, please reply to any texts or FaceBook messages, even if it is to let the captain know you are not available.
2. Where possible try to travel to away games . . . it makes a difference to those that do!!